Bruce G. Dubinsky, CPA, CVA, CFE, CFF, MAFF, is a managing director and leader of Global Business Development & Strategy for the Disputes and Investigations practice. His practice is focused on providing dispute consulting services to a variety of clients, including law firms, corporations, governmental agencies, law enforcement bodies and self-regulatory organizations. Bruce frequently works on complex litigation cases where the claims in many instances are in the billions of dollars.
Based in New York City and Washington, D.C., Bruce has more than 30 years of financial investigative and dispute consulting experience having worked on hundreds of complex and high-profile engagements throughout his career. He has provided testimony as an expert witness nearly 100 times and has testified in over 50 trials, many of which were jury trials.
Bruce has been qualified and testified as an expert witness in cases involving criminal and civil financial fraud, Ponzi schemes, SEC and FINRA enforcement actions, commercial business damages, business valuations, federal income, estate and gift taxation, GAAP, GAAS and related accounting issues as well as and bankruptcy matters. He has been employed on numerous occasions as a testifying expert for federal income tax matters by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Tax Division, as well as the Office of Chief Counsel for the Internal Revenue Service.
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps, Bruce was the managing director of Dubinsky & Company, P.C, a dispute consulting firm specializing in forensic accounting, fraud investigations and commercial dispute consulting which, in 2008, was acquired by Duff and Phelps. Earlier in his career, he held leadership positions for various real estate development and public accounting firms.
Bruce earned his Masters of Science in Taxation (with high honors) from Georgetown University, and his Bachelors of Science in Accounting from the University of Maryland. He is a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified Valuation Analyst, Certified in Financial Forensics, and earned a certificate as a Master Analyst in Financial Forensics. Bruce previously served as the Chairman of the Association of the Certified Fraud Examiners Board of Regents.
- Hired by the United States Department of Justice as the testifying forensic accounting expert in the Madoff 5 criminal trial in the U.S.D.C. - S.D.N.Y. in 2013 to testify as to the nature of the Madoff Ponzi and the extent of the fraud in the organization.
- Hired as the testifying expert witness by the law firm of Baker & Hostetler LLP (“Baker”), counsel for Irving H. Picard, Trustee (“Trustee”) for the Substantively Consolidated SIPA Liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (“BLMIS”) and Bernard L. Madoff (“Madoff”), to provide forensic accounting analysis and render certain expert opinions related to the Madoff Ponzi.
- Hired by the United States Department of Justice as the testifying forensic accounting expert in the Sam and Charles Wyly bankruptcy case in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court- N.D. Texas to testify regarding alleged tax fraud involving an elaborate off-shore trust and corporate structure utilized by the Wyly’s for over twenty years to avoid paying federal income and gift taxes in the United States.
- Hired by the court appointed Election Monitor as the forensic investigator on campaign finance fraud for the United States Department of Justice through appointment by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York for the 2015-2016 International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) Union Delegate and Officer Election.
- Hired by the United States Department of Justice as the testifying forensic accounting expert in a criminal case involving alleged tax fraud utilizing off-shore captive insurance schemes.
- Hired as a testifying expert witness in a case involving alleged international public corruption in connection with the purchase of a state owned industrial manufacturing plant.
- Hired as a testifying expert witness by AMTRAK regarding damages from Superstorm Sandy and damage sustained by the railroad.
- Hired as a testifying expert on a case arising out of the financial crisis involving alleged fraud in connection with the merger of Merrill Lynch and Bank of America, two of the largest financial institutions in the United States.
- Hired as one of the lead forensic accounting investigators who worked on the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy investigation conducted by the Special Examiner appointed by the bankruptcy trustee for the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate, the largest bankruptcy filing in United States history.
- Hired as a testifying forensic accounting expert for the defense in the Parmalat SpA fraud case, one of the world’s largest accounting fraud cases to date. Provided expert testimony in a multi-day deposition regarding various matters including the nature of the frauds perpetrated, methods utilized by various alleged fraudsters and the underlying transactions at issue.
- Hired by FINRA Department of Enforcement as a testifying forensic accounting expert in a case involving alleged fraud by an investment advisor.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert for the defense in a case with nearly $1 billion dollars of alleged damages for an alleged patent licensing breach of contract case involving hard disk drive spindle motors and related hard disk drive component products.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert in a case involving allegations of theft of trade secrets related to a military defense business in the United States.
- Hired as a testifying forensic accountant and damages expert in a case involving hundreds of millions of dollars of consumer credit card and debt accounts in several asset-backed securitization vehicles.
- Hired by FINRA Department of Enforcement as a testifying forensic accounting expert in a case involving alleged fraud by a broker/delaer and a related investment vehicle.
- Hired on behalf of Siemens Energy Inc. as a testifying expert on issues related to alleged damages from a contract termination in South America related to a power plant.
- Hired as a testifying forensic accountant expert in over twenty cases surrounding alleged fraudulent tax shelters involving hundreds of millions of dollars in unpaid federal income taxes.
- Hired as a testifying forensic accountant for the defense of a prominent banking lawyer in a white-collar criminal case involving allegation of bankruptcy and tax fraud.
- Hired as a testifying forensic accountant for the defense of the former Governor of Puerto Rico in a white-collar criminal case involving allegations of campaign finance fraud and tax fraud.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert in a health care insurance case involving breach of contract and other claims.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert by DuPont in a case involving lost profits arising from intentional disruption of distributorship channels.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert in a case against a mutual fund related to allegations of overcharging management fees to its retail customers.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert by a subsidiary of DuPont in a case involving the alleged sale of tainted food stabilization products to a food processing plant.
- Hired as the forensic accountant to investigate fraud allegations on behalf of the Washington Teachers’ Union where the presiding officers were alleged to have embezzled millions of dollars from union coffers.
- Hired as a testifying damages expert in a case involving lost profits and damages arising from alleged trespassing and unauthorized utilization of an internet service provider network.
- Hired as a testifying expert in a case involving allegations related to a prominent real estate developer of public corruption and tax fraud in the District of Columbia.
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Valuation Analyst
- Master Analyst in Financial Forensics
- Certified in Financial Forensics
- Commercial Arbitrator
- Registered Investment Advisor Representative (former)
- Masters of Science in Taxation, (high honors), Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., 1986
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Maryland, 1983
- Various Continuing Education Courses
- Advisory Council for the Center for the Study of Business Ethics, Regulation and Crime (C-BERC) at the Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
- Chairman Advisory Board- OCROLUS, L.L.C.
- Advisory Board - LexisNeixs Fraud Defense Network
- Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Regents for the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Board of Regents
- Instructor of Exceptional Distinction Award- NACVA
- Named one of the “Top 100 Most Influential People in the Accounting Profession” by Accounting Today
- Fraud Examiner of the Year - Washington Metropolitan Chapter of Certified Fraud
- Former member of the Editorial Board of The Value Examiner
- Former contributing editor for the CPA Digest
- Frequent media appearances in numerous print media as well as appearing on local and national television and radio newscasts, to discuss various tax, accounting and fraud issues.
- Bruce frequently lectures at the college level on issues relating to forensic accounting and accounting ethics. He has presented seminars to law firms, professional groups and law enforcement bodies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Fraud Investigations
- Forensic Accounting
- White Collar Criminal Fraud
- Complex Tax Controversy Cases
- Commercial Damage/Lost Profits Analysis
- Bankruptcy Investigations
- Investment/Securities Damages/Suitability
- Campaign Finance Compliance/ Investigations
- Post-Acquisition Disputes
- Accounting/GAAP Disputes