Bruce G. Dubinsky, MsT, CPA, CVA, CFE, CFF, MAFF, is a managing director and leader of Global Business Development & Strategy for Duff & Phelps' Disputes and Investigations practice. He sits on the leadership committee for the practice and serves as the city leader for the firm's Washington D.C. office. Bruce has more than 33 years of financial investigative and dispute consulting experience.
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps, Bruce was the managing director of Dubinsky & Company, P.C, a dispute consulting firm specializing in forensic accounting, fraud investigations and commercial dispute consulting which, in 2008, was acquired by Duff and Phelps. Earlier in his career, Mr. Dubinsky held leadership positions for various real estate development and public accounting firms. Bruce’s practice places special emphasis on providing dispute consulting services to a variety of clients including law firms, general counsels of corporations, governmental agencies and law enforcement bodies. Bruce frequently works on complex litigation cases where the claims in many instances are in the billions of dollars.
Bruce has been qualified and testified in court as an expert witness in nearly 50 bench and jury trials involving criminal and civil fraud, commercial business damages, intellectual property and patent damages, business valuations, federal income taxation, bankruptcy, SEC investment related matters, accounting malpractice and standard of care cases as well as a variety of other disputes. He has given deposition testimony in over 100 cases. Bruce is a nationally recognized expert in fraud investigations, forensic accounting and dispute consulting, making frequent media and guest lecture appearances.
His notable work includes:
- Currently retained as the testifying expert witness by the law firm of Baker & Hostetler LLP ("Baker") counsel for Irving H. Picard, Trustee ("Trustee") for the Madoff Ponzi Case to provide forensic accounting analysis and render certain expert opinions in the largest Ponzi scheme in the world's history
- Testified on behalf of the United States Department of Justice as the forensic accounting expert in the “Madoff 5” criminal trial in the U.S.D.C. - S.D.N.Y. in 2013 as to the nature of the Madoff Ponzi and the extent of the fraud in the organization. The jury convicted all five criminal defendants on all counts.
- Testified on behalf of the former CFO of a major U.S. commercial bank stemming from a lawsuit brought by the regulators of New York State.
- Provided expert testimony in the Parmalat SpA fraud case, one of the world’s largest accounting fraud cases to date
- Testified in a patent infringement case with nearly $1 billion of alleged damages involving hard-disk-drive spindle motors
- Provided expert testimony in a fraud case involving hundreds of millions of dollars of consumer credit card and debt accounts that were placed in asset-backed securitization vehicles
- Testified in numerous cases involving fraudulent off-shore tax shelters
- Testified in a white collar criminal case involving allegation of bankruptcy fraud and tax fraud
- Led the investigation of the Washington Teachers Union public corruption fraud
- Provided expert support in the defense of a governor of a territory of the United States
- Provided expert support in the defense of a real estate developer in a bribery and tax fraud case
Bruce holds an M.S. in taxation from Georgetown University and a B.S. in accounting from the University of Maryland. He is a Certified Public Accountant, Certified Fraud Examiner, Certified Valuation Analyst, Certified in Financial Forensics, and earned a certificate as a Master Analyst in Financial Forensics. Bruce previously served as the Chairman of the Association of the Certified Fraud Examiners Board of Regents.