Elaine Wood is a managing director in the Disputes & Investigations practice, focusing on risk assessment, compliance and regulatory consulting, technology, and investigations.
Elaine is a former federal prosecutor and a certified compliance and ethics professional with over 20 years’ experience conducting international investigations and consulting on issues relating to risk and regulatory compliance. She works with counsel on the implementation of compliance policies and controls, specializing in emerging technology solutions in security, risk management and data governance. She is expert at managing complex regulatory requirements and solving risk inefficiencies.
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps, Elaine was a Managing Director for 15 years at Kroll and, more recently, at Alvarez & Marsal, where she oversaw high-profile fraud investigations and helped implement compliance protocols. Elaine served as a court appointed monitor in the waste carting industry in New York, and she designed an international monitoring protocol to eliminate child labor abuse in the sporting goods industry. She also developed source information for CNN to help refute reports that nerve gas was used in Vietnam in violation of the Geneva Convention. Elaine now works with emerging technology tools to provide forensic intelligence and analytics.
Prior to Kroll, Elaine served for six years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, where she led a successful racketeering case against the restaurant workers union that resulted in a court appointed monitorship. She began her legal career at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.
Enterprise Risk Management
- Developed a risk framework for a health insurance company serving over 3 million members. Identified risk mitigation strategies to improve capital preservation and increase financial confidence within regulatory guidelines.
- Hired to investigate SEC allegations that a financial institution and its outside auditor sold products to clients in breach of the duty of auditor independence.
- Hired by a U.S. company to investigate a vendor kickback scheme organized by the manager of a major manufacturing plant in India.
- Hired to provide intelligence and recover assets in a $200 million divorce case with parties located in Europe, Africa and the United States.
- Investigated a supply chain of counterfeit goods and uncovered a scheme involving the client’s manufacturer in mainland China and a senior executive operating out of corporate headquarters in New York.
Due Diligence Investigations
- Identified source of investment funds originating from high risk jurisdictions. Designed risk alerts and third-party due diligence protocols. Provided intelligence to trace and recover stolen assets.
- Juris Doctor, Columbia Law School, New York, NY, 1986
- Bachelor of Arts, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1983
- Chair of the Board of Legal Momentum, the Women’s Defense & Education Fund. Founded in 1970, Legal Momentum is dedicated to advancing the rights of all women and girls.
- Member of the Women’s Forum of New York, a network of leaders in the professions, arts and business.
- Regulatory Compliance
- Risk Management
- Due Diligence
- Technology Solutions