Enzo Carlucci is a managing director in the Disputes and Investigations practice. His practice is focused on providing business and securities valuations, evaluation of commercial damages claims, forensic accounting investigations, regulatory investigations, internal control compliance and financial due diligence engagements.
Based in Toronto, Enzo has more than 15 years of experience providing expert valuation reports quantifying economic losses pursuant to litigation and dispute matters, including class actions, and in preparing business valuations and complex financial models for companies involved in a variety of industries for various purposes, including financial litigation support, corporate finance activities, income tax planning, succession planning, financial reporting and income tax.
Enzo has qualified as an expert and has given evidence on business valuation, damage quantification and other financial issues. Specifically, he has prepared materials and assisted with the submission of evidence in matters in the Ontario Court of Justice, the Queen’s Bench of Alberta, the Superior Court of Quebec, the Québec National and International Commercial Arbitration Centre, the Arbitration Act and the Bermuda International Conciliation and Arbitration Act. Enzo also sits on the Board of Directors as Treasurer for the ADR Institute of Ontario (“ADRIO”) and the Arbitration and Mediation Institute Foundation (“AMIF”).
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps, Enzo spent 5 years at KPMG in Toronto focusing on audit of private and public company clients in the information technology, communications and entertainment industry (“ICE”). Enzo also spent 2 years working for KPMG in Bermuda with a focus on insurance, banking and mutual fund clients.
Enzo earned a Diploma in Investigative and Forensic Accounting from the University of Toronto and a Bachelor of Business Administration from the Schulich School of Business.
Professional Liability Claims
- On the Association of Insured Chartered Accountants (AICA) preferred expert list in respect of assisting legal counsel with respect to claims made against accountants, auditors, fraud examiners and business valuators.
- Provided numerous expert opinions as to whether Chartered Accountants conducted their audits in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards.
- Assisted counsel representing a senior officer of a public company in responding to allegations by the Ontario Securities Commission in respect of financial statement misrepresentations.
- Provided an opinion for a Canadian national bank in respect of whether the financial statements relied upon by the bank were prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“GAAP”) and whether the auditors met the standard of care and conducted their audit in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (“GAAS”).
- Retained by a large, US seed and fertilizer manufacturer to assist with the quantification of damages resulting from a post-purchase price dispute involving whether the treatment of various accounting transactions were reported in accordance with GAAP.
- Assisted in litigation involving the alleged professional negligence of a large multi-national accounting firm as a result of financial statement audits performed for a private company that operated in the property and casualty insurance industry.
- Assisted legal counsel with a claim involving the professional negligence of a global accounting firm with respect to the issuance of an offering document and pro-forma financial statements.
- Assisted in defence of an auditing firm in Quebec in respect of the alleged issuance of materially misstated financial statements that were used for purposes of negotiating a purchase and sale of a plastics business.
- Prepared of a report involving the reconstruction of a fraud for litigation between an auditor and a municipal government agency in Nova Scotia.
- CA•CBV, Designated Specialist in Business Valuation, 2004
- CA, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario, 199
- Diploma in Investigative and Forensic Accounting, University of Toronto, 2010
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Schulich School of Business, 1996
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, Member
- ADR Institute of Ontario (“ADRIO”), Board of Directors
- Arbitration and Mediation Institute Foundation (“AMIF”), Board of Directors.
- Commercial Disputes
- Fraud Investigations
- Business Valuation
- Financial Due Diligence
- M&A Post Acquisition Disputes
- Securities and Regulatory
- Class Actions
- Directors & Officers Liability
- Construction Litigation
- Accounting/GAAP Disputes