Greg Burkart is a managing director in the Detroit office and is the leader of the Business Incentives Advisory Practice. Greg specializes in structuring and negotiating government-sponsored economic development incentives packages on behalf of his clients. Over the past few years, Greg has managed projects with capital investment exceeding $10.1 billion for which he has obtained $3.2 billion of incentives for his clients.
Greg received his B.S. in economics, with honors, from Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama and his J.D. from St. Louis University. He also has been a visiting adjunct professor at Michigan State University’s Land Policy Institute in East Lansing, Michigan where he participated in the study, "Changing the Past or Investing in Our Future." In addition, Greg has advised four governors about their transition plans and economic development policies as well as testified in front of joint sessions of the Texas and Michigan Legislatures.
- After conducting a 26-state site search, our team negotiated an incentive package for a manufacturer. The project created 1,200 jobs and entailed new capital investment of $750 million. The state and local community offered incentives valued at $195 million of which $85 million was cash grants and cash-equivalents.
- After a site search involving 20 states, our team negotiated an incentive package for a manufacturer. The project created 700 new jobs and entailed a capital investment of $440 million. The state and local community offered incentives valued at $120 million of which $55 million was cash grants and cash-equivalents.
- Our team assisted a large manufacturer of lithium ion batteries. The project created 400 jobs and entailed a capital investment of $290 million. Our team helped the company negotiate state incentives of $125 million which served as leverage for an additional $145 million of grant dollars from federal sources.
Greg is a frequent speaker and has published numerous articles and presentations including:
- "How to Get It, How to Keep It," Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- "Horizon 2020 – Preparing for the New European R&D Incentive," Webcast
- "Automotive Re-Shoring," Area Development
- "Significant Savings Through Public-Private Partnerships," CAR Management Briefing Seminar
- "Site Selection – Emerging Trends," Tulsa Future Regional Partners’ Meeting
- "Number Crunching," US Infrastructure
- "Incentives Fund Wind Energy Project," Area Development
- "Smart Money and The Smart Grid," Smart Grid News
- "The Perfect (Solar) Storm," Colorado Energy News
- "An Incentive in Every Pot: The Race for New Energy-Related Federal Cash Grant," Renewable Energy World.com