Jaime d’Almeida is a managing director for the Disputes and Investigations practice. His practice is focused on providing expert testimony in corporate finance matters, specializing in shareholder disputes, appraisal rights, business divorces, solvency analyses, preference and fraudulent conveyance actions, breaches of contract, merger and acquisition disputes, copyright and trademark disputes, and other commercial and economic damages analyses.
Based in Boston, Jaime has over 20 years of experience in economic and valuation analysis and consulting, and has provided both deposition and trial testimony on valuation and damages issues.
Jaime has been involved in numerous dispute matters and has advised clients on a wide variety of topics including: asset-backed securities, business valuation, tangible and intangible asset valuation, solvency, financial analysis, investment analysis, fairness and solvency opinions, and analysis of complex financial structures. Jaime has worked on matters involving numerous industries and has extensive experience in the private capital space.
Jaime leads Duff & Phelps’ annual review of Delaware Court of Chancery opinions, and is an Adjunct Lecturer at both Boston University’s Questrom School of Business and Babson College’s F.W. Olin Graduate School of Business. He is a frequent speaker and author and his corporate finance expertise has been featured in publications such as Business Valuation Review, Valuation Strategies, Law360.com, ABI Journal, and the Value Examiner.
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps, Jaime was a senior manager at Ernst & Young in their Valuation and Business Modeling group. In prior positions he was a Manager of Economic and Regulatory Policy for Cable & Wireless’ operating companies in the Caribbean region, and a Consultant at National Economic Research Associates where he provided litigation and regulatory support in the telecommunications industry on topics including antitrust analysis, economic cost models, damage estimations, market entry issues, and economic analyses of modernizing telecommunications networks. Jaime has also worked at the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities in the telecommunications sector.
Jaime received his M.B.A. in entrepreneurship from FW Olin Graduate School of Business at Babson College and his B.S. in electrical engineering/engineering and public policy from Carnegie Mellon University. Jaime is also an Accredited Senior Appraiser of the American Society of Appraisers, and a Certified Fraud Examiner.
- Litigation matter regarding damages incurred by a company in the home furnishings industry.
- Consulted a major consumables firm on solvency and litigation implications of a potential spin-off of certain assets.
- Appraisal litigation matter involving an event study and valuation of a retail jewelry business.
- Prepared third-party valuation analyses as mediator for a dispute involving a retail sporting goods firm.
- Court-appointed neutral party engaged to value a grocery store chain in the context of a litigation matter.
- Performed valuation analyses of enterprise value and stock securities of regional restaurant chain connection with impairment testing pursuant to SFAS 142 and tax reporting purposes respectively.
- Valued customer relationships, trade names, technology, inventory and in-process research and development for multiple wine closure firms in connection with post-transaction purchase price allocations.
Energy, Water and Mining
- Litigation matter regarding damages arising from a post-purchase dispute over representations and warranties related to the customer base of a company in the oil and gas field services industry.
- Litigation matter regarding valuation and solvency analyses in a fraudulent conveyance claim of a company in the energy industry.
- Valuation analysis of a biodiesel plant for strategic purposes.
- Valuation analysis of a gas turbine power plant in the context of a dispute concerning a power purchase contract.
- Buy-side advisory on potential transaction among two large international mining corporations.
- Litigation matter regarding the valuation of a non-marketable, minority interest in a water treatment and disposal services company.
- Valuation analysis of two oil and gas exploration and production companies in the context of a stock-for-stock merger.
- Litigation matter regarding the purchase price of a water company pursuant to a statute.
Financial and Consulting Services
- Litigation matter regarding the solvency of an investment bank and broker-dealer over multiple dates in the context of a run on the bank and fraudulent transfer claims.
- Advised examiner with respect to valuation and solvency of Lehman Brothers on behalf of the examiner appointed by the US Bankruptcy Court while acting as the lead financial advisor.
- Retrospective solvency analysis of a broker-dealer and market maker over a multi-year period, incorporating allegations of fraud in a litigation matter.
- Arbitration matter regarding the valuation of a private equity management company, including general partnership interests, management interests and carried interests.
- Valued an online financial services business multiple times for financial reporting purposes.
- Multiple litigation matters regarding the value and liquidity of assets held by hedge funds.
- Arbitration matter regarding the valuation of a certified public accounting and management consulting firm.
- Litigation matter regarding red flags or warning signs under the customs and practices of the investment management industry as they relate to investment advisory business of Bernie Madoff.
- Litigation matter regarding risks, attributes and customary practices associated with synthetic collateralized debt obligations (“CDO”s).
- Valuation analysis of a boutique investment bank focused on technology companies, for litigation purposes.
Healthcare and Life Sciences
- For a logistical and compliance management software provider in the health care industry, valued intellectual property and intangible assets such as customer relationships, software technology, and brand names in connection with a post-transaction purchase price allocation.
- For a $20 billion global biotechnology company, valued various business units for purposes of goodwill impairment testing under SFAS 142.
- Litigation matter regarding the reasonableness of the price at which a nursing home was sold and related bankruptcy costs.
- Valued common stock of a healthcare staffing company for litigation purposes.
- Valued in-process research and development, technology, customer relationships, inventory and trade names for a medical device company in connection with a post-transaction purchase price allocation.
- Valued intellectual property associated with a performance management system developed by and for a nationwide health care alliance of health care organizations for strategic planning purposes.
- Prepared valuation analysis of intellectual property, including life science patents, for counsel of multinational life sciences company ($1.5 billion in revenue) for purposes of a proposed transaction.
- Valued common stock of a national dental service organization for purposes of settlement negotiations.
- Valued preferred and common stock of a healthcare services company for litigation purposes.
- Litigation matter regarding damages arising from a post-purchase dispute over representations and warranties related to certain customers of a company in the power protection industry.
- Valuation analyses for various reporting units of a diversified manufacturing and services company (with $40 billion in revenue) in connection with impairment testing pursuant to SFAS 142.
- Breach of contract damages analysis related to a distribution agreement for adhesive products.
- Sell-side advisory valuation analysis of total invested capital of a chemicals manufacturer for purposes of strategic planning.
- Sell-side valuation analyses of patent applicable to the construction and engineering industry for purposes of strategic planning.
- Litigation matter regarding the valuation of a chemicals manufacturer.
Media and Entertainment
- Litigation matter regarding the valuation of a minority interest in a national indoor theatre, and drive-in movie company.
- Valuation of publicly-traded publishing and book manufacturing business for goodwill impairment testing purposes.
- Consulted government agency on the value of an online gaming business for settlement purposes.
- Litigation matter regarding the valuation of a minority interest in a sports magazine publishing business.
- For a track racing and pari-mutuel wagering business, valued various business units for purposes of goodwill impairment testing under SFAS 142.
- Litigation matter regarding the timing of a sales process for an entertainment franchise business.
- Valued greyhound and horse racing licenses for financial reporting purposes.
- For a multi-billion dollar international resort and gaming company, valued equity investments and intangible assets including trade names, licenses, development agreements and non-compete agreements in connection with post-transaction purchase price allocation.
- Litigation matter regarding an auction process for a regional newspaper.
- Litigation matter regarding valuation and solvency analyses in a fraudulent conveyance claim of a real estate development company. Work included valuation of residential and commercial real estate development assets.
- Litigation matter regarding valuation and solvency analyses of a commercial real estate finance company operating in commercial real estate lending, investments and funds management, and loan servicing.
- Valued minority equity interest in a real estate partnership that invested in health care facilities and multi-family properties in the context of a shareholder dispute.
Technology and Telecom
- Litigation matter regarding valuation and credit analyses of a telecommunications carrier.
- Appraisal litigation matter regarding the valuation of a semiconductor company that designs and develops high performance analog, digital and mixed signal integrated circuits and other systems.
- Bankruptcy litigation matter regarding the liquidation value of a tablet manufacturer, including inventory and intellectual property.
- Litigation matter regarding the damages incurred by a private branch exchange (PBX) provider in the telecommunications industry.
- Litigation matter regarding the valuation and solvency of an internet software and services company with a complex capital structure.
- Litigation matter regarding the financial condition of an alternative operator service provider in the 900 service market.
- Litigation matter regarding damages from alleged misuse of trade secret information from a business communications company.
- Litigation matter regarding market penetration analysis of a shared tenant services provider.
- Prepared telecommunications network cost models for purposes of regulatory pricing of unbundled network elements including local loop, collocation and switching elements.
- Assessed the benefits of alternative pricing regulation including price cap regulation in Massachusetts for telecommunications services.
- Accredited Senior Appraiser of the American Society of Appraisers
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- MBA, FW Olin Graduate School of Business at Babson College, Babson Park, MA, 2002
- Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering/engineering and public policy, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 1993
- Accredited Senior Appraiser, American Society of Appraisers
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Ellen Carpenter Financial Literacy Program
- Passim, Board Member
- Friends of King Open, Board Member