As a result of market disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Regulatory Authorities of certain countries issued short selling restrictions. Legislation around these restrictions varied by country and is constantly evolving so we recommend that clients check with legal counsel before conducting any short selling.
The following countries in Europe imposed short selling restrictions:
- Austrian Financial Market Authority (FMA).
- Belgian Financial Services and Markets Authority (FMSA).
- French Securities Supervisory Authority (AMF).
- Greek Hellenic Capital Market Commission (HCMC).
- Italian National Commission for Companies and the Stock Exchange (CONSOB).
- Spanish National Securities Markets Commission (CNMV).
The following countries in Asia imposed short selling restrictions:
- South Korean Financial Services Commission (FSC)
- Indonesian Stock Exchange
- Thailand Stock Exchange
The UK, USA, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan have not introduced COVID-19 related short selling restrictions, but the UK’s FCA has implemented restrictions imposed by European countries.
Read our whitepaper on Short Selling here.
Compliance and Regulatory Consulting
Local and global compliance expertise for the financial services industry.
Expert compliance support for a variety of firms including hedge funds, private equity firms, wealth managers, corporate finance and broker dealers.