Staffing Industry Insights – Fall 2019

As the staffing industry continues to benefit from a positive operating environment across most industry sectors, owners continue to capitalize on their strong financial performance by realizing value through either a company sale or recapitalization transaction.

Staffing Industry Insights Fall 2019 width=

Sources: SEC filings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, Mergermarket, company press releases and various news sources (e.g., Staffing Industry Analysts, American Staffing Association, The Deal, The Wall Street Journal)

Continuing to be absent from recent M&A activity are most U.S. public staffing companies, as staffing industry acquisition activity remains primarily driven by private equity-backed strategic buyers seeking to scale their existing platforms.

Strategic buyers accounted for 94% of the staffing industry acquisitions in the first nine months of 2019, with private equity funds (financial buyers) investing in a new platform acquisition, accounting for the other 6% of transactions.

Private equity acquired seven new platform staffing investments in the first nine months of 2019, a noticeable decrease following the 28 new investments completed in each of 2018 and 2017.

Professional staffing companies (including IT, digital/creative, healthcare and life sciences) continue to see the most widespread demand from buyers and investors.

Buyers continue to have very specific criteria as they evaluate acquisition targets. Acquirers desire companies with a strong blend of both recurring revenue growth and profitability, with significant attention paid to customer diversification and the gross margin impact of potential acquisitions. Proven management teams desiring to stay on post-transaction also remain highly sought after.

Staffing Industry Insights – Fall 2019 2019-10-09T00:00:00.0000000 /insights/publications/m-and-a/staffing-industry-insights-fall-2019 /-/media/assets/images/publications/featured-images/2019/mergers-and-acquisitions/staffing-industry-insights.ashx publication {D59CA77E-C551-45A3-BE89-F567210C5A60} {78037A7A-7340-4BE3-9AF2-2DAD5622EE3B} {4DACD310-421A-42AC-BEF4-8AA7E70484CD} {D3AE3EC6-3254-4441-B111-1AF8D558906C} {6B6F3B01-98A6-4BC2-B2CD-CBD127447FB5} {13E28841-C245-441D-8C3B-49E72DA5381C} {9B44E83A-E993-4902-AAE0-82849CEAD728} {5CE144D0-ADDC-43A3-95E4-3428CA819BF8} {B062D54C-1425-4A04-8F9F-95EA14068E6D}

Related Services

Duff & Phelps Corporate Finance

Corporate Finance

Comprehensive support throughout mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.

Corporate Finance
Duff & Phelps Corporate Finance

M&A Advisory

Middle-market M&A advisory differentiated by industry expertise and superior deal execution.

M&A Advisory
Duff & Phelps Corporate Finance

Transaction Advisory Services

Seamless analytical advisory through the deal continuum, from transaction origination to closing.

Transaction Advisory Services
Duff & Phelps Corporate Finance

Financial Sponsors Group

Dedicated coverage and access to M&A deal-flow for financial sponsors.

Financial Sponsors Group
Duff & Phelps Corporate Finance

Private Capital Markets

Senior, subordinated and mezzanine debt and venture/private equity for a wide range of transactions.

Private Capital Markets
Duff & Phelps Valuation Advisory Services

Valuation Advisory

Valuation and consulting for financial reporting, federal, state and local tax, investment and risk management purposes.

Valuation Advisory

Insights