The LIFE program provides cash grant funding to support innovative projects that fit into the European environmental policy and should contribute to the development or execution of this policy. This year, due to disruptions to business operations caused by COVID-19, the initial deadlines have been extended by one month, allowing applicants additional time to prepare and submit applications.
LIFE has the following general goals:
- Contribute to the transition to a resource-efficient, carbon-neutral and climate-resilient economy, and protection of the quality of the environment and countering the loss of biodiversity
- Improve the development, execution and enforcement of European policy regarding environment and climate
- Support improved environmental governance on all levels, including improved involvement of regional and local governments and NGOs
How Much of My Project Will LIFE Fund?
Traditional projects have a maximum support of 55% of all project costs and are paid in the form of non-repayable cash grants.
What Types of Projects Qualify?
Aimed primarily at nature conservation, biodiversity and habitats, with sub-themes as:
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Environment and Resource Efficiency
- Environmental Governance and Information
Aimed at innovation for renewable energy, efficiency and land use, with sub-themes as:
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Climate Governance and Information
What Projects are Most Relevant for Business?
- Pilot projects aimed at applying a technique that has not been applied or tested before and that offer a potential environmental or climate advantage compared to current solutions
- Demonstration projects which put into practice, test, evaluate or disseminate new approaches or actions in a specific context, that could be applied elsewhere
What are the Deadlines?
Environment Sub-program (Two-stage Application Process)
- April 2, 2020: Call opened for traditional projects
- July 14, 2020: Submission of concept notes (extended)
- October 2020: Pre-selection of concept notes, invited to submit full proposals
- February 2021: Submission of full proposals
- June 2021: Information about results
- September 2021: Start of the projects
Climate Action Sub-program (Single-stage Application Process)
- April 2, 2020: Call open for traditional projects
- September 2020: Submission of full proposals
- February 2021: Information about results
- June 2021: Start of the projects
How Duff & Phelps Can Help
Duff & Phelps’ Site Selection and Incentives Advisory professionals, in conjunction with the European Funding Alliance, can help your team identify qualifying projects, prepare the grant application and presentation materials, and support your compliance efforts after the grant is awarded.
Valuation and consulting for financial reporting, federal, state and local tax, investment and risk management purposes.
Property tax, site selection, transfer pricing, sales and use tax and unclaimed property advisory.
Site Selection and Incentives Advisory
Assistance for businesses to realize economic development incentives.