Over the past several years, most financial officers have become all too familiar with the pitfalls resulting from failure to satisfy a corporate "holder's" unclaimed property reporting requirements. Out of necessity, many companies have worked to become more aware of the steps required to meet obligations that stem from past transactions, but are they prepared or equipped to avoid a recurrence of future scrutiny from the states and their third party contract auditors?
Duration is 1 hour
During this webcast presenters shared recent legislative, administrative and judicial developments that impact corporations across a broad range of industries. They also shared best practices to assist companies who are trying to adapt to the changing environment. History has proven that when it comes to unclaimed property, even the most sophisticated corporations are challenged to create an ongoing process to ensure they are not over or under reporting.
The webcast covered the following developments:
- State legislative changes impacting corporate holders and their corporate partners
- Recent cases highlighting the need for proactive planning in managing the unclaimed property process
- Trends by states to expand the definition of unclaimed property in the area of gift cards, loyalty cards and rewards programs
- Challenges of shared services organizations in tracking, managing and reporting unclaimed property
- Helpful tips on how corporations can establish practices that reduce the burden on satisfying the ongoing compliance requirements while ensuring that they are not over or underreporting unclaimed property
- Robert Peters, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Maryann Luongo, Associate, Baker & McKenzie
Who should view this webcast replay?
- Unclaimed Property Directors
- Unclaimed Property Managers
- Tax Directors
- Vice Presidents of Tax
Valuation and consulting for financial reporting, federal, state and local tax, investment and risk management purposes.Valuation Advisory
Property tax, site selection, transfer pricing, sales and use tax and unclaimed property advisory.Tax Services
Unclaimed Property and Tax Risk Advisory
Assistance to identify, manage and implement controls relating to transaction taxes and unclaimed property.Unclaimed Property and Tax Risk Advisory