Ben is a director in the Disputes and Investigations practice in London. He has specialized in financial investigations, both civil and criminal, since 2004. Ben has worked alongside not-for-profit, NGO and government bodies as well as corporates, law firms, law enforcement and regulators. He has broad experience of both reactive investigations, often crossing jurisdictions, and proactive assignments designed to minimize the likelihood of future instances of financial crime.
Ben is regularly involved with assignments that cross borders and require differing jurisdictional considerations. To date, Ben has worked on investigations in most of the European countries, the U.S., Kenya, Pakistan, Sudan, central Asia and a number of the offshore jurisdictions. Ben has either reported to, or worked with, the FCA, SFO, various UK police forces, EUROPOL, SEC, CFTC and the Japanese FCA.
Ben’s proactive fraud prevention work entails red flag analysis of an organisation to determine where and how an organisation may be susceptible. The analysis allows particular areas of the organisation to be evaluated in greater detail to ascertain whether the existing controls have been circumvented and to allow enhanced controls to be implemented.
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps in 2016, Ben worked for a cyber security firm, a global risk management company as well as a Big 4 accounting firm. Ben also spent two years on an assignment based at the Serious Fraud Office.
Fraud Investigation & Asset Recovery
- Provided the external investigation support to a major retailer looking to counteract large scale online fraud. The investigation combined financial investigation, cyber analysis and open source tracing of individuals to identify the pertinent individual, assess the scale of their operation, preserve evidence for legal proceedings. Input into preventative controls was also provided
- Unwinding of the dissipated proceeds of a US$150 million Russian bank fraud. The proceeds were identified and traced the around the world (including through Azerbaijan, Georgia, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Seychelles, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine and USA)
- Reconstruction of the cash flows of a US$20bn Middle Eastern bank fraud discovered following insolvency proceedings. The investigation required the identifying of the source of funds; analyzing of the validity of cash flows; and ascertaining the net position of the assets for the appointed liquidators
- Investigation into insider fraud within the shipping department of an international business. Conducted an investigation into allegations of the creation of ghost shipping agents in order to defraud the company
- Investigation into a locum and temporary medical staffing agency following allegations of systemic fraudulent overcharging practices in relation to staff supplied to the NHS
- Investigation into the charging practices of maintenance and other third party contractors providing services to a housing association
- Investigation into the overcharging of labor costs and materials by contractors during the construction of a new hospital
- Investigation into the collusion between the procurement manager, the warehouse manager and external suppliers as to their roles within a multi-million pound fraud against a furniture and home products retailer
- Investigation into suspect accounting system entries designed to manipulate the financial reporting of the company to cover the siphoning of funds by the directors
Bribery and Corruption
- Conducted a bribery investigation within a property development company. The investigation also included an evaluation of the anti-bribery controls in place within the organisation
- Long term assignment on site at the Serious Fraud Office investigating breaches of United Nations sanctions in relation to the bribing of foreign officials
Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing
- Investigation into a global charity accused of supporting terrorism, including substantial document review, business intelligence work and on the ground investigations in Sudan, Pakistan and Kenya.
- Investigation into allegations of LIBOR rigging by a panel bank. Worked with the in-house legal team and external legal advisers to co-ordinate the response to regulators from the USA, the UK and the Far East.
Employee Misconduct and Corporate Governance
- Investigation within an international NGO with regard to allegations of nepotism and circumvention of their recruitment process at a very senior level
- Investigation within an international NGO with regard to allegations of bullying and harassment against a senior member of staff
- Spent two months working within the Department of Health assisting with the review and implementation of financial governance policies
- Provided training to clients on whistleblowing policies and associated statute, namely PIDA
Ben is a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.