Bruce G. Dubinsky, CPA, MsT, CFF, CFE, CVA, CAMS, MAFF is a senior advisor in the Governance, Risk, Investigations & Disputes practice of Duff & Phelps LLC. Bruce is a forensic accountant with a career spanning more than 36 years, conducting fraud and financial investigations and testifying as an expert on fraud, economic damages and other financial matters. He is a nationally recognized expert in fraud investigations, forensic accounting and dispute consulting, making frequent national media and guest lecture appearances.
Bruce has been qualified and testified in court as an expert witness in over 65 bench and jury trials involving criminal and civil fraud, commercial business damages, tax fraud, accounting malpractice, SEC and FINRA disputes, as well as a variety of other disputes. He frequently works on complex litigation cases where the damage claims in many instances are in the billions of dollars.
Most notably, Mr. Dubinsky was the U.S. government's expert witness in the "Madoff 5” criminal trial, in which five of Bernard Madoff's closest employees were convicted as a result of their involvement in the world's largest Ponzi fraud. Mr. Dubinsky testified for multiple days unraveling the fraud and explaining the mechanics of the Ponzi to the jury.
Areas of expertise include:
- Fraud investigations and forensic accounting
- White-collar criminal fraud
- Complex income tax fraud
- Bankruptcy investigations
- Commercial damages/lost profits analyses
- SEC, FINRA investment/securities matters
- Campaign finance compliance/investigations
- Post-acquisition damages
- Valuation damages
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps, Bruce was the managing partner of several accounting and forensic investigation firms, as well as the co-owner of a real estate development company. His notable work includes:
- Currently retained as the testifying expert witness by the law firm of Baker & Hostetler LLP ("Baker") counsel for Irving H. Picard, Trustee ("Trustee") for the Madoff Ponzi Case to provide forensic accounting analysis and render certain expert opinions in the largest Ponzi scheme in the world's history.
- Testified on behalf of the United States Department of Justice as the forensic accounting and fraud expert in the "Madoff 5” criminal trial in the U.S.D.C. - S.D.N.Y. as to the nature of the Madoff Ponzi and the extent of the fraud in the organization. The jury convicted all five criminal defendants on all counts.
- Testified on behalf of the former CFO of a major U.S. commercial bank stemming from a lawsuit brought by the regulators of New York State alleging fraud and misrepresentation to stockholders.
- Provided expert testimony in the Parmalat SpA fraud case, at the time, one of the world's largest accounting fraud cases to date.
- Testified on behalf of the U.S. Department of Justice on the largest individual civil tax fraud case in the history of the United States.
- Provided expert testimony in a fraud case involving hundreds of millions of dollars of consumer credit card and debt accounts that were placed in asset-backed securitization vehicles.
- Testified on behalf of the U.S. Department of Justice in numerous civil and criminal cases involving fraudulent off-shore tax shelters.
- Testified in a white-collar criminal case involving allegation of bankruptcy fraud and tax fraud.
- Led the investigation of the Washington Teachers Union public corruption fraud.
- Provided expert support in the defense of a governor of a territory of the United States.
- Testified in an ICC international arbitration case involving the failed foreign investment in state auctioned assets regarding allegations of bid rigging and bribery.
- Testified in a case involving the damages resulting from unfair competition in the health insurance market.
- Testified on damages resulting from an environmental clean-up case for AMTRAK related to insurance claims.
- Testified on the damages stemming from the breach of a non-competition agreement.
- Testified on the damages stemming from the theft of trade secrets.
- Testified on the damages stemming from a failed joint venture involving hard disk drive technology.
- Testified on the damages stemming from a major service outage resulting from fiber optics cables severed during construction.
- B.S., Accounting, University of Maryland
- M.S., Taxation, Georgetown University
- Certified Public Accountant, State of Maryland
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Valuation Analyst
- Master Analyst in Financial Forensics
- Certified in Financial Forensics
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist
Governance, Risk, Investigations and Disputes
Combined Duff & Phelps and Kroll disputes, investigations, cyber, business intelligence, cross-border restructuring and other advisory.
Experienced arbitrators and expert witnesses across a wide array of sectors.
Commercial Disputes and Litigation
Industry and technical insights to win disputes related to contractual, fiduciary or related obligations.
Assistance throughout contractual disputes.
M&A Post Acquisition Disputes
Expert consulting and testifying services related to post-acquisition purchase price disputes.
Help to determine value for shareholder interests in private and public company disputes.
Assistance in tax and regulatory litigation and investigations.
Global Fraud and Forensic Investigations
Expert analysis to help clients understand, prevent and manage fraud.
Monitoring and Receivership Services
Service as a monitoring trustee.
Assistance with complex securities litigation.
Providing expert analysis and testimony in the context of litigation, arbitration and other commercial disputes.
a portfolio company of
has entered into a $40,000,000 senior credit facility with
has been acquired by
Duff & Phelps Presented a Training Class to the FBI on ‘How to Investigate an Insider Trading Case’
Bruce Dubinsky Quoted in Fraud Intelligence Article on Fraud Reports and Statistics
Duff & Phelps Announces CEO Transition
Kelly Conlan Discusses Pandemic Bankruptcy Outlook with Bloomberg