Dominic Wreford is a managing director and the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) leader of the Disputes practice. His practice is focused on providing forensic accounting and expert assistance in commercial disputes.
Based in London, Dominic has over 20 years of experience in high-value commercial disputes, both in litigation and arbitration, in a wide variety of industry sectors, including: technology, construction, telecommunications, energy, financial services, professional services, insurance, pharmaceuticals, public sector/government and shipping. He has also undertaken fraud and financial investigations. Dominic has also given evidence in the UK High Court and at international arbitration.
Dominic is accredited as a leading expert in both the International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration and the International Who’s Who of Investigations and Forensic Accountants. He is one of only a handful of experts in the UK to be dual recognized in this manner.
Before joining Duff & Phelps, Dominic served as a managing director in the London office of Alvarez & Marsal’s Global Forensic and Disputes practice.
Dominic earned a master's degree in jurisprudence (law) from Oxford University. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, a Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, a Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and a member of the Academy of Experts.
Commercial Loss and Account of Profits
- Analyzed the impact of the early termination of a franchise agreement in the fast food sector.
- Analyzed £1.6 billion of claimed losses arising from termination of a financial services business after alleged audit negligence (Cattles Limited v PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP)
- Provided expert witness opinion in an International Arbitration to assess losses of the order of €1 billion arising from the termination of a contract to construct a nuclear power plant.
- Provided expert witness opinion for the Claimant on UK accounting issues arising out of the Ponzi scheme of Mr Bernard Madoff, together with a reconstruction of Madoff Securities
- International Limited’s financial results on the basis of various alternative scenarios over a 20 year period.
- Expert accountant for the Claimant in a complex and very high-profile $800 million dispute arising out of allegations of fraud in Sovcomflot, the largest shipping company in Russia, specializing in petroleum and LNG shipping.
- Assessed a claim at International Arbitration of approximately US$ 500 million arising from the supply of allegedly defective solar wafers for use in the production of solar panels.
- Expert accountant in a claim of patent infringement, ‘Account of Profits’ type case, involving the analysis of financial records to identify profits flowing from the manufacture and sale of fastening products, together with management accounting methodologies used to apportion and allocate profit between different products.
- Expert accountant in an International Arbitration, instructed to assess the commercial loss arising from the interruption in the supply of a raw material required for the production of carbon anodes for use in aluminum production. Creation of “but for” analyses for comparison against actual results.
- Provided expert witness opinion in a multi-million pound loss of profits claim at International Arbitration following the termination of an exclusive European distributorship contract, leading to losses arising from an inability to meet market demand due to lack of stock and supply.
- Provided expert witness opinion in a High Court dispute surrounding the loss of profits following the termination of a franchise agreement: calculations required as to demand in the market place, the ability to meet demand with associated cost structures, assessment of business plans and cash flow projections.
Post-acquisition and Joint Venture Dispute
- Review partner in the determination of various claims in a post-acquisition dispute following the multi-billion euro acquisition of various Eastern European brewing and distribution operations.
- Expert accountant in a multi-million pound ICC arbitration involving alleged misrepresentation and breach of warranty around the calculation of losses shown in the completion accounts of the purchase of a Russo-European financial entity.
- Provided expert accountant’s report into the failed merger of three insurance brokerages, surrounding allegations of fraud and misrepresentation surrounding turnover projections.
- Provided expert witness opinion in respect of a $700 million claim heard at International Arbitration in the USA for breaches of warranties provided under a Sale and Purchase Agreement.
- Expert on financial modeling in a multi-million pound petro-chemicals case involving the claim of the copying of confidential information as contained in a spreadsheet model that was used to support the acquisition of a business.
- Advised in a dispute arising from the $13 billion leveraged buyout of Wind Telecomunicazioni SpA by providing early stage advice in regards to a very large quantum meruit claim for a business adviser.
- Lead accountant in a valuation undertaken as part of an ICC arbitration into the value of the shares in a MENA telecommunications joint venture undertaken in the Middle East and North Africa region.
- Provided expert witness opinion in an ICC arbitration providing an opinion on the value of a minority equity holding in an Asian Independent Power Producer with a long term power purchase agreement.
- Lead accountant in the valuation, for the purposes of a long term incentive plan, of a business selling and marketing a single, well-known brand.
- Lead accountant in the valuation of a minority shareholding in a foreign insurance company under the terms of a shareholder agreement.
- Provided expert witness opinion in a case concerning the multi-million pound valuation of both the whole and a significant minority holding of a financial intermediary.
- Provided expert witness opinion on the valuation and liquidity of a group of property development companies.
- Provided expert witness opinion on the valuation of a group of privately owned schools.
- Lead accountant reporting on the “value for money” of a managed service provider contract between HM Government and a large multinational corporation.
Information Technology Related
- Co-led a team reviewing and critically appraising the financial and commercial aspects of a managed service provider contract between HM Government and a large multinational corporation.
- Headed up a team that assisted a large supplier in managing the financial aspects of a multi-million pound outsourcing dispute with a very large financial client.
- Headed up a team in respect of another multi-million pound dispute with another large financial client, involving the outsourcing of various IT services.
- Expert accountant in a multi-million pound dispute involving the failed implementation of an IT system designed to implement process efficiencies in the mortgage sector.
- Assisting an outsourcing supplier with the financial implications of a multi-million pound contract renegotiation involving replatforming of an existing data center and desktop services contract.
- Headed up the financial due diligence supporting the outsourcing of staffing of IT functions from a large insurance company.
- Assisted a multinational telecommunications company on fraud prevention, cash tracking, risk management and control systems, including the investigation into the application of many millions of dollars across multiple countries and ventures.
- Headed a team brought in by the Financial Services Authority as part of their investigation into the collapse of split-capital investment trusts.
- Headed a team brought in to assist a client identify and quantify the alleged misappropriation of assets in a brokerage subsidiary of a bank in an ex-Soviet state.
- Acting for an individual client challenging broker produced summaries of trading performance and reporting on discrepancies between these summaries and the underlying deal data.
- Reported to the professional trustees of a number of offshore trusts owning property assets within the UK via a large group of companies to identify substantial income flows and asset movements over a twenty year period.
Other Expert Adviser Roles
- Advised and reviewed documents and reports prepared in respect of a case brought against director warrantors following the sale of a business for around £20 million with alleged misrepresentations about cartel activity.
- Advised and reviewed client account reports for case involving alleged misappropriations of client monies by a professional firm.
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments
- Member of the Academy of Experts
- Master's degree in Jurisprudence (law), Oxford University
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investments
- Royal Statistical Society
- Academy of Experts