Eric is a managing director in the Disputes and Investigations practice. His practice is focused on providing fiduciary, advisory services and expert testimony in capital markets, corporate finance, restructuring and bankruptcy disputes.
Based in Chicago, Eric brings more than 20 years of financial experience to the Disputes and Investigations practice both in capital markets areas, including leverage finance, private placements and public securities and in strategic advisory, including restructurings and investment banking. Throughout his career, he has served as an advisor in more than $6 billion in capital raises and strategic transactions. Eric also has significant experience in restructuring and bankruptcy litigation and has represented both debtors and creditors.
Before joining Duff & Phelps, Eric was a senior managing director at GlassRatner Advisory and Capital Group. Prior to GlassRatner, Eric was with Deloitte and Banc of America Securities.
Eric holds a Masters of Business Administration in finance and accounting with highest honors from the University of Illinois, and an undergraduate degree in finance from Miami University. Eric is a Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA) and a member of TMA, AIRA, and CFA.
- Served as expert on behalf of a Canadian Regulatory agency in the investigation of certain mortgage operators relating to brokerage activities, mortgage administrator fiduciary duties, and various developer responsibilities in promoting, raising, and administering nearly CDN $1 billion in syndicated mortgages.
- Financial advisor to the Department of Justice (DOJ) in the Peabody Energy et al. Chapter 11.
- Financial advisor to counsel and the Indenture Trustee acting on the behalf of bondholders of tax-exempt bonds in bankruptcy litigation of 501C tax-exempt entity.
- Served as testifying expert in litigation matter regarding valuation of purchased loan and credit facility, valuation of membership units, solvency issues and other valuation matters relating to fraudulent transfer and breach of contract action.
- Served as expert in litigation matter involving valuation of a subordinated debt instrument and stock in a closely-held company relating to a fraudulent transfer / conversion action.
- Court-Appointed Receiver for a mixed-use commercial property responsible for managing and preserving receivership estate resulting in the successful sale of the property.
- Financial advisor to counsel and the Indenture Trustee acting on behalf of bondholders of tax-exempt bonds regarding dispute relating to feasibility analysis, restructuring considerations for community improvement bonds and the underlying TIF Plan.
- Financial advisor to counsel and the Indenture Trustee acting on the behalf of bondholders of tax-exempt bonds in the forensic accounting and liquidation matter of a failed Charter School.
- Restructuring Officer for NASDAQ listed business outsourcing company overseeing its operational turnaround and go-private transaction.
- Interim restructuring officer to large sports complex responsible for investigation and forensic accounting relating to prior management, operational turnaround and debt restructuring efforts of tax-exempt bonds.
- Interim President to a real estate fractional ownership business overseeing its operational turnaround and restructuring efforts which resulted in the sale and full debt repayment to it lenders.
- Financial advisor regarding disputes over valuation of minority interest of closely held company and the repurchase of the company from a private equity firm and allocation of value of minority interest.
Capital Markets Experience
- Structured and executed structured equity line for publicly traded company for up to 7,000,000 common shares and 1,800,000 warrants to purchase common shares.
- Lead Manager of $150 million senior notes for an Australian communications firm.
- Sole Manager of $348 million senior secured notes for a forest products company.
- Sole Manager of $265 million senior secured notes for a lumber producer.
- Lead Manager of $156 million senior secured notes for a leading paper products company.
- Co-Manager of $300 million initial public offering for a Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Acquisition bridge financing for a privately-held company’s $912 million purchase of a chemical company.
- Sole manager of a $50 million monetization of installments notes for a forest products company.
- Administrative Agent and Arranger of $650 million underwriting commitment and $450 million acquisition facility for Master Limited Partnership (MLP).
- Financial advisory regarding due diligence and quality of earnings of a video gaming terminal operator utilized for finance ability and other acquisition considerations.
Strategic Advisory Experience
- Advisor to a large provider of satellite-based communications services in its $1 billion international joint venture.
- Advisor to a multinational telecommunications and data networking equipment manufacturer’s $600 million international joint venture with a telecommunications firm.
- Advisor to a publicly traded forest products company’s $360 million divestiture of timberlands to a building materials company.
- Advisor to a publicly traded forest products and building materials company’s $270 million divestiture to a leading lumber producer.
- Advisory to a leading building materials manufacturer’s $50 million divestiture to a leading lumber producer.
- Advisor to a large publicly traded India based technology company in its acquisition of a US based consulting firm.
- Advisor to a publicly traded India based company in its acquisition of a German based technology company.
- Advisor to technology and management consulting company of its energy consulting business to an India-based technology company.