Comprehensive diligence support primarily in the areas of tax, compliance and regulatory, operations, financial and accounting, investigations and disputes and cyber/IT risk.
Duff & Phelps offers a specialized team of accounting, tax, compliance, cyber security, forensic and technology specialists who together will advise on risks in a potential transaction. Our deal teams have specific industry knowledge, years of experience, proven analytical skills and comprehensive transactional expertise to support any engagement.
Duff & Phelps’ Comprehensive Diligence Solution team works to address client concerns pre- and post-transaction.
Common Pre-Transaction Concerns
- What is the business achieving in terms of normalized EBITDA?
- Are there tax exposures and how should this transaction be structured to minimize taxes?
- What is the true current value of the business?
- Does this transaction meet your initial investment thesis?
- How will value be created: acquisition vs. organic, automation vs. out-sourcing, etc.?
- Can the operations be optimized to enhance productivity and reduce cost?
- Are there hidden risks such as cyber security, #MeToo, background/culture and compliance issues?
Common Post-Transaction Concerns
- Can you help us with our net working capital adjustment, purchase price allocation, pro-formas and opening balance sheet?
- How can you assist with our merger integration and process improvement initiatives?
- How do we drive, capture and track results and protect created value?
- How do we optimize value?
- Can you implement control procedures around the cyber and compliance risks you identified?
- Can you assist us with sell-side diligence and have your investment bankers bring us to market?
Duff & Phelps’ Differentiated Approach
Expertise–Eliminate the “Noise”
- Our tailored approach will ensure a clear articulation of value and risk
- We provide concrete recommendations based on facts
- We interrogate and validate the acquisition thesis that underpins the transaction
- Our background and experience allow us to quickly address the issues and processes, cultural nuances and data limitations, delivering incisive, lateral thinking
- We will eradicate value leakage while challenging the robustness of the acquisition process
- We know what can go wrong:
- Failure to link between historical results and forecasts with sufficient granular analysis
- Acquisition story is not clearly articulated and/or supported by robust plans and forecasts
- Management distraction
Unique Senior Level Involvement–Working With Us Feels Different
- Managing directors lead each engagement and take the time to fully understand and critique the investment opportunity, identify likely diligence issues and assess acquisition readiness
- Our straightforward structure and personal investment drive the seamless, rapid deployment of our strength
- There is no “B-team”
- Collaborative, agile and collegiate: we will work with you as part of your team
- Senior-led teams, not a learning ground for junior resources
- Seamless team of functional, transactional specialists, enabling full alignment on key issues and minimizing duplication of time, cost and effort
- Single point of contact
Driving Value–Focus on What Drives Value
- We do not engage if we cannot deliver excellence
- We pride ourselves on commercial transparency
- We are not an accounting firm and have no independence issues that could dilute the quality of advice we provide
- We stay with the transaction to get the job done, and beyond
- We will invest time up front in understanding what “good” looks like
- Clear and unambiguous communication of our findings and implications–not lost in a confusing minefield of “consultant speak”
Healthcare expertise for middle-market M&A transactions.Healthcare M&A
Consumer, Food, Restaurants and Retail M&A
Consumer, Retail, Food and Restaurant expertise for middle-market M&A transactions.Consumer, Food, Restaurants and Retail M&A
Business Services M&A
Staffing expertise for middle-market M&A transactions.Business Services M&A
Industrials expertise for middle-market M&A transactions.Industrials M&A
Pagemill Partners, a Division of Duff & Phelps
Technology expertise for middle-market M&A transactions.Pagemill Partners, a Division of Duff & Phelps
Comprehensive support throughout mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.Corporate Finance
Transaction Advisory Services
Seamless analytical advisory through the deal continuum, from transaction origination to closing.Transaction Advisory Services